Dec 4, 2008

Designer Spotlight- Blackrose

Blackrose has a day job as a Training Consultant with a major Awarding Body/Examination Board, but still manages to find time to squeeze in crafting between this and a busy life. As a child she was always doodling, colouring in or cutting out shapes and people.

Val remembers fondly:
“My mother was always knitting, crocheting and sewing clothes for myself and 5 siblings. At the time she had a lovely old singer sewing machine with foot operator controller, but later got an electric modern one. I used to make clothes for myself ocassionally using simplicty, vogue and burda patterns up to probably the early 1990's. I also used to knit things which I never finished :)”

After various creative crafting endeavors over the years, Val then discovered Etsy last year and started making things to sell there. Recently she found out about Folksy.com and is also now on there selling her handmade delights.


At the moment all Val’s fabric creations are hand sewn and mainly aimed at women - to make them feel good inside, to comfort and encourage/motivate. Her best selling herbal pillows certainly do this!) Val says:

“I now know that being creative feeds my soul. I am so contented when surrounded by fabric, yarn and lots of buttons and embellishments. My boyfriend bought me a sewing machine last Christmas. (a lot more sophisticated than my mums old singer)....I need to get my head around the instructions and start using it!.”

Waiting for We Make Christmas?
Watch out for lots of fragranced wardrobe sachets and fabulous fabric brooches- great to wear with casual clothes or more formal outfits. There could also be some knitted scarflettes and maybe wrist cuffs too!

Can’t wait for We Make Christmas?
There are plenty of pleasing creation to check out at Blackrose etsy shop and have a browse at Folksy for some fabric brooches and spirit art dolls.

3 comments:

East London Craft Guerrilla said...

Good luck with the market on Saturday. A few of the Craft Guerrilla boys and girls will be there so I'll pop in to say Hello!
X
Deborah

Catherine Marche said...

one day to goooo....

leonie.wise said...

oh, i'm SO disappointed that i only found out about this now (at 3.30pm on the 6th) or i would have definitely come along!

hope you have all had a fab day