Sep 7, 2011

Thames Festival Designers: Textiles

With just a few days to go we would like to introduce you to some of the designers that will be at the We Make London area at the Thames Festival.

These are all of the wonderful Textile sellers that will be there:


♥ inspired by ancient hand craft ♥ spiced by retro look ♥ a little eclectic, but de luxe designs ♥ flowers, leaves, pom poms, bows, unique and unnecessary accessories ♥ made and designed specially for you by me ♥

A graduate of both Central Saint Martin’s college of Art and Design and the National Institute of Fashion Technology, I am a textile designer and freelance photographer currently based in London.

My work draws inspiration from observing the often uncelebrated facets and details of popular Indian culture to create beautiful, handcrafted textiles and products for the home. Visual imagery is abstracted from easily recognisable objects and spaces of day-to-day life in India.

I develop a visual and personal identity for these objects by representing them in a contemporary environment, without compromising their authenticity. Combining traditional techniques like hand embroidery and appliqué with screen-printing to create fun and quirky prints and surfaces. These are mostly applied to cushions, teatowels, napkins and postcards.

For current news and day-to-day musings,
please visit my blog - www.kanganarora.blogspot.com,
or my Flickr page - www.flickr.com/photos/kanganarora

Hello, my name is Dee. I am responsible for making and designing everything you see in my shop from my flat in London town.

Making things has always been a hobby of mine, ever since knitting, sewing and making stuffed animals with my Grandma as a child. I think she would be proud of what I'm doing now.

The leather I use for my accessories comes from a local company that makes beautiful leather interiors such as full walls covered in leather! I go along and root through their off-cut bins looking for unusual finds! I also go to charity shops to find interesting fabrics and friends and family are very kind to donate unwanted clothes or fabric.

I find it really inspiring to make something practical and beautiful out of fabrics that would otherwise have been thrown away.
Rose Sharp Jones is a designer maker working with knitted, crocheted & printed textiles.  She completed a BA in Textile Design at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design and after returning to study, gaining an MA in Textile Design at Chelsea College of Art & Design, she established her business in 2009.
Much of Rose's inspiration comes from traditional textiles - how fabrics were made and used as well as their aesthetic appearance. 
Rose's textile designs are applied to a range of products for the home as well as a collection of wearable accessories.  Environmentally friendly and sustainable yarns & materials are used throughout.   Rose designs and makes all pieces herself either by hand or using a knitting machine.
Based in London, Rose also works as a freelance knit & crochet designer.


Inspired by a love of trawling car boot sales and flea markets, LauraLaura is a reaction to disposable fashion and breathes new life into otherwise redundant objects. Pre-loved knitwear is decorated with whimsical thoughts and doodles. 
Old fastenings become cute-as-button earrings and fabric remnants wrap reclaimed bangles in divine vintage prints, creating unique pieces to be treasured for seasons to come. We source the best secondhand, vintage and deadstock knitwear (always 100% wool) to be embroidered by hand so each piece of LauraLaura knitwear is truly one-of-a-kind. A prim antidote to the ever pervasive slogan shirt with phrases such as “I am a Secret” and “I Should Coco!”, quirky humour and vintage aesthetics form the heart of our label.


ISOLYN was established in 2002 to design and produce sculptural soft furnishings and accessories for contemporary living. Exclusive high quality materials such as pure wool, the finest leathers and soft sheepskins are used to ensure that your ISOLYN experience is one of ultimate comfort. Apart from their own designer collections, ISOLYN also offer design consultancy services for manufacturers and individual commissions for those who want to possess what no one else has.
 
     


    Welcome to Molly Moo and Jessica too home of quirky, colourful, fun, one of a kind homewares and gifts using reclaimed and/or remnant fabrics. All items are individually handmade by me, Gemma Payne, and as I use reclaimed and/or remnant fabrics I rarely make 2 products the same. I like to keep hold of all fabric scraps from the larger projects and use them up on smaller projects such as bags and toys but when the fabric's gone its gone! If you'd like to come and have a look at Molly Moo and Jessica too facebook fan page http://www.facebook.com/Molly-Moo-and-Jessica-too

    Felting is one of the oldest craft. I really like wool and its products. It is a wonderful, natural material, you can create anything you want out of it.
    I work with the wool for 6 years now. I know how to produce almost everything: felted pictures, handbags and various accessories, shoes for children and adults, warm beautiful wavy scarves, gloves and much more. Everything is made from natural merino wool and silk.
    The Thames Festival is a great opportunity to enjoy and to buy original and unique hand made felted products created with love.

    Zeena graduated from Chelsea College of Art and Design with a BA in Printed Textile Design in 2007. Since graduating she has worked in both the fashion and interiors textile industry and continues to work as a freelance textile designer and runs a fun and friendly program of textiles and craft workshops for the public promising to insoire you to get stitching.
    Inspired by her love of papercutting, printing, biridies, collecting, drawing, sewing, making and hearts, she launched her own collection of handmade and hand screen printed for the home interior in 2009.
    All her products are handcrafted here in the UK, each piece is individually hand silk screen printed and made making it truely unique.


    I started my business earlier this year though I have been making for a long time. I worked
    as a costume maker and then backstage in the theatre. It was through my time as a
    costume maker that I gained an appreciation of period fabrics and prints.

    I love unusual and quirky prints and wished to make use of these beautiful forgotten
    fabrics. I am very passionate about 'upcycling', refashioning vintage materials into
    contemporary objects for modern use.

    I have started my own website, www.retropoodle.com, and sell my home accessories
    through my shop on Etsy and at craft fairs.


      No comments: