Oct 22, 2010

Karen Risby Designer Feature:


About Karen Risby:

After studying ceramics at Camberwell College I started working at the Bethlem Royal Hospital in Kent facilitating workshops for people experiencing mental health problems. For over 10 years I managed a thriving art department and set up a professional gallery space to show case the work of the many talented and inspirational artists I met through my work at the hospital, alongside developing my own work from a studio at my home in South London. I left the Bethlem last year to set up a full time ceramics studio in Suffolk.

Inspirations:

I hand build mainly figurative ceramic sculptures, creating three-dimensional forms reminiscent of a line drawing or a simple illustration. The sculptures together or alone bestow the essence of fairytale or myth. Often androgynous, their individuality is revealed by a simple characteristic, a bird perhaps or a crown.

I’m interested in exploring the beauty of imperfections as is often demonstrated in Japanese and Korean ceramics and culture, the juxtaposition of traditional aesthetics and a modern simplicity






Best Sellers:

People Love owls!





We Make Christmas:

I will be selling my ceramic figures along with limited edition tiles.





Website:

www.karenrisby.co.uk

1 comment:

mycuriousteaparty said...

I love Karen's work, such gentle shapes.

Lovely work by a lovely lady.