Jun 24, 2011

Sarah Birt Jewellery Designer Feature:



About Sarah Birt Jewellery:

Why did you start doing what you do?

I remember being fascinated as a child by a collection of vintage brooches that belonged to my great grandmother and I think that this began my great love affair with all things that sparkle! I started making jewellery for myself after graduating and I used to give necklaces and earrings to friends and family.
When I first moved to London I got a job at The Bead Shop in Tower Street and I learned a lot of new techniques from my colleagues. That was when I really began to build up my collection of beads and I started to make jewellery using sterling silver findings and chain because it doesn’t tarnish like plated chain and I wanted my jewellery to last for a lifetime.
I used to draw designs that could really only be made using silversmithing techniques so I decided to enrol on an evening class in beginners’ silver jewellery making. I enjoyed it so much that I carried on the following term and began to sell my work online. It is a pleasure to make special commissions and to gain positive feedback for my work. I can’t imagine that I will ever stop making jewellery.

Why did you choose your business name?

I decided that because I was making the designs from scratch, I would like to put my name to my business to show how much my ideas were influenced by the things that inspire me.
How long have you been doing what you do?
Jewellery Designs by Sarah Birt opened on etsy in February 2010.

What else do you like to do?

I am an avid cinemagoer and I love art and history so I often visit museums and galleries in my spare time. I also write fairy tales and fantasy books for children and young adults but I haven’t sent anything off to a publisher yet! There never seems to be enough time in the day but I have lots of plans for creating short animations based on my jewellery designs and I also like to draw portraits.

What is your ultimate goal for your business?

I hope that it will grow and I would like to be able to spend more time making jewellery rather than working full time as I do now. I am quite ambitious in terms of my designs and I hope that I will continue to learn new techniques so that I can develop the ideas that I have into a reality. At the moment I am fascinated by the idea of making extremely ostentatious tiaras! I still have a lot to learn about running a business but I am enjoying myself so far…

If you could make something for a famous person who and what would it be....? 

I actually have already thought about this and I would love to make a ring for Johnny Depp! I particularly like the way he puts so much thought into the jewellery that he wears as Captain Jack Sparrow and given his association with Tim Burton and the fact that I love pirates, I am confident that I could design something suitably weird and decadent for him. It would have to be something that moved, with hidden compartments and lots of odd little details!

Inspirations:


I am inspired by everything that makes my life sparkle. This includes art (especially works by Toulouse-Lautrec and ukiyo-e Japanese prints), Victorian jewellery, history, castles and films including Studio Ghibli animations and Fantastic Mr Fox.

Best Sellers:


The Moon Bunny pendant is my signature piece because it seems to be the most popular design that I have created so far and I get requests for these pendants even if they are not listed for sale!

We Make Summer Boutique:
 
Show us your top three sellers that will be at the shop

Dancing Fox Pendant
Wilfric the Viking Pendant


Tiny Bunny Earrings

Websites:



Find Us on Facebook:

No comments: