Jun 23, 2011

Teresa Robertson Designer Feature:




About Teresa Robertson:

What did you start doing what you do?

Two of my main areas of work – the hand screen printed cards and the ‘house paintings’ started through involvement at my sons’ primary school – I printed batches of cards to sell at their Christmas Fairs and offered to draw someone’s house 1” high for a letterhead at an auction of promises, and the winner asked for a painting of her house and her family outside it. I0 years or so later, I now have a range of over 100 cards and have painted around 100 pictures of interiors and exteriors of people’s homes.

How long have you been doing what you do?

I’ve been illustrating as a living for about 25 years, but painting people’s houses and making cards professionally for about the last 10 years.

What else they you like to do?

Seeing friends and family and walking friends’ dogs.
What is your ultimate goal for your business?
To keep producing images for people.

If you could make something for a famous person who and what would it be....?

Asking that question in May 2011, I’d say ‘Kate and Wills standing in front of their rented cottage in Anglesey, with any pets they may have’. My paintings are about freezing a moment in time for a family and I’m interested in real homes, not necessarily grand houses.

Inspirations:

Carl Larsson and Herge. Both of them for their black line and brilliant draughtsmanship, Larsson for his watercolour and subject-matter of his 7 children caught in unselfconscious moments around the home, and Herge for his characters and settings.

Best Sellers:



My pink and blue stork cards are my biggest sellers. As to why they’re so popular – people like must like them, compared to other baby cards.
We Make Summer Boutique:




 Different types of shops like different ranges, so independent kids and baby shops go for the storks, babygros or cards like the pink fairy here, while classy gift shops go for the ‘heart and bow’ or ‘peacock butterfly’ shown here.

Websites:




No comments: